The following are real exchanges between husband and wife dealing with sex addiction while the husband is in jail as part of our Consequences of Sex Addiction Series. Sex Addiction is real and we hope these letters inspire you to get help and/or make a change if you’re facing similar circumstances.
“Everything I Need to Know (in Prison) I Learned in Kindergarten”
- Be kind to others — prison is a difficult place with lots of drama. Showing kindness will bring you kindness in return.
- Play nicely with others — you will be involved in lots of activities. Playing fair and being flexible will help you get along.
- Share your toys — you are going into a very different environment. New neighbors and roommates. Sharing when you can helps you fit in.
- Tell the truth — trust & honesty is big in prison. Getting caught lying creates a lot of problems for you. So when you speak, be truthful.
- Mind your manners — be respectful of others whether you like them or not. Use please, thank-you, excuse me, etc. often.
- Be patient — in prison, things don’t happen in your time, things happen on the prison’s timetable. Your family will also be having a hard time sometimes. Show them patience and understanding.
- Be positive — with every dark cloud there is a silver lining. Find the good in this unpleasant experience & make the best of it.
- Don’t talk to strangers — when you get to prison take your time meeting people. Let it happen naturally over time. People are not always what they appear to be at first.
- Don’t take things that don’t belong to you — stealing is a major offense which can cost you dearly. Just don’t do it!
- Respect other people’s property — if you borrow something or it is loaned to you be sure to return it timely and in the same condition it came to you or better.
Best of luck!